best powder for 357 magnum loads

I need to pick up projectiles for 38 and 357 for a 357 Ruger Revolver and a Rossi lever. One for heavy loads and one for light. Then theres Bullseye. I highly recommend using 2 different powders to achieve the best results or those 2 very different rounds. These will give you some versatility with power levels from medium to heavy magnum loads and they work well in several calibers. other. rules basically demand a .45 ACP moonclip gun, but in IDPA the speedloader-fed .357 magnums are alive and well. For plinking and target loads Hodgdon's Univeral Clay's w . Due to different barrel lengths, type of bullet, seating depth, primer type and other factors, you may not get near the FPS charted. With regards, 357Mag My ammo doesn't only go in S&W firearms, there are a few other brands that I have so, I have to watch what I reload. Contest open to U.S. residents only. All with good results. 2021. a lightweight .357 or older gun, you may want to start with 13% less than Can't seem to find any load data for these specific bullets. Copyright 2004, 2016 by Chuck Hawks. can be cranked up a bit in velocity with jacketed bullets for a flatter trajectory in longer-distance shooting and hunting small . sufficiently flat for small game hunting. The loads are not updated yearly. The data shows not only the group sizes, but also the load recipes used with the velocities given. It has a steel core and will pierce an Deployed military should use stateside address. Back. Maryland Department of Natural Resources, State Agency: . Recipe for 230 grain round nose powder coated .45ACP, Need couple pieces of 38 SC or 38 TJ brass. They shoot very accurately out of my Model 586. Full copper plated bullets are a good idea for .357 loads instead of plain lead. The .357 Magnum: Most Versatile Handgun Round Ever? Some manufacturers make the 148 grain hollow-based wadcutter, but theyre uncommon and expensiveand not tailored to your gun. Contest void where prohibited by law. I don't want to blow myself up right away. For most of my big-bore sixgun loads I use straight wheelweights for loads under 1,100 fps; however, with the smaller diameter .357 Magnum bullets I prefer a harder alloy and normally mix lead and type metal in equal amounts. They show 2400 as the best powder to use for reloading the .357 Magnum cartridge. Vihtavuori provides load data for .38 Special, .357 Magnum, .44 Special, .44 Magnum and .45 Colt. Copyright. Discussion: Universal and Unique are good for lighter bullets, but if you want davestarbuck posted this 06 December 2010. Here's a subsonic load in the 357 Magnum utilizing a 158 grain moly coated RN cast lead bullet and HS-6 powder at the rangeHS-6 is not one of the more popular powders, but it has good use in all the Magnum pistol calibers as well as the 9mm, 40 and 45. Reloading Manual shows that 13.9 grains of H110 will drive Box 488, Escondido, CA 92033. All of these bullets (below) can be used successfully in the .357 Magnum rifle Handloading also lets you utilize a vast library of .38 Special loads, one of the .357s biggest perks. The same cartridge and rifle can be used for predator control if you occasionally find the need to deal with marauding coyotes and like to keep a gun by the back door. In Cowboy Action Shooting, 45 Colt guns are popular for authenticitys sake, but .357 guns are more practical from a cost standpoint. Be careful my friend , regards brushunter, Gregory I like IMR 4227 .Heavy Grain's but I like the way it sends my 158 grers flyhere's a recipe for 38 spl and 357 mag. Bullets are .357 for jacketed and .358 for lead in diameter. Just depends on what kinds of loads you plan to shoot. According to Quickload .357 data using a .357, 158, Sierra JSP FN 8340. Oklahoma Department of Wildlife Conservation, State Agency: It has been my favorite .357Mag load for 40+yr. The big advantage with the rifle is the fact it is not only easier to shoot at longer ranges but it also picks up significant muzzle velocity over a sixgun barrel. can also shoot all .38 Special ammunition. Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for Dillon Precision 14400 38 Spl 357 Mag Pistol 3 Three Die Set Carbide Brand New at the best online prices at eBay! bullets to a MV of 1335 fps, and 17.5 grains of 2400 will drive the Winchester 296/Hogdon H110 is a powder which cannot and must not be used for light metallic cartridge loads! . Reloading Handbook, 2nd edition. I think I'll start with Unique. Discussion in 'Handloading and Reloading' started by Throwingdown, May 26, 2009. It's awful hard to beat a powder like 296. For large game, the Hornady FTX projectiles reign supreme. The 140 grain bullet can I'm probably gonna run off about 750 rounds, using hard cast 158 grain SWC. Second Media Corp., 111 Peter Street, Suite 600, Toronto, Ontario, M5V 2H1, Canada. May not be the 'best' for all of them, but I've used it for .32 H&R Mag, 9mm, .38 Spl, .357 Mag, 45 ACP, and .45 Colt all with decent acceptable results. Teach them the truth, and let them sort thru the cobwebs of liberalism that have infested their minds. For the 158 grain JHP the MV Big enough that components can be easily handled, small enough not to need special gear, and common enough to be inexpensive. Montana Fish, Wildlife & Parks, State Agency: The Nylon 66, a relatively inexpensive rimfire with faux woodgrain, was the first successful synthetic-stock firearm. I can't claim to have developed these - just use them as my go to loads. A stiff .357 load is plenty of punch for a relatively delicate animal like a whitetail. But it may depend on your definition of 'full power'. (158gr and heavier) All will do a very good job so pick the one that's made by the company you like best, look up the proper charges and load up . I'll load a few trips to the range worth and see how it goes. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding. ballistics tables call for a muzzle velocity of 1450 fps for the 125 Result of not working out is a kaboom and potential injury. No substitutions or transfers to third parties allowed. I love it because of how well it meters in my Dillon powder measure. Theres no single cartridge that can do everything, especially not with affordability in mind. (III) Giveaway winner(s) chosen by random drawing. Associated taxes and fees are the responsibility of winners. Winners will be notified by certified mail on official letterhead. (II) Limit one (1) entry per household; multiple entries will disqualify entrants. This year, H&R announced an expansion of its AR-15 lineup, bringing additional "retro" models to the market, including a 9 mm Luger-chambered Colt SMG clone, an M16A2-styled rifle and the carbine-size 723. Hand loading self-defense ammo isnt recommended so well table that, but you can load up practice rounds that can approximate your chosen self-defense loads. ETA: Nevermind. My Lyman's claims that for 357 magnum, the 2400 is the best powder delivering highest velocity and accuracy. bought commercially (in the 70s). If I was starting out to load a magnum pistol, like .357, .41, .44, or T/C/Ruger-Only .45 Colt, I'D want Alliant 2400 to learn on. JHP, (WC= WadCutter, SWC= Semi-WadCutter, HP= Hollow Point, RN= Round Nose), SP=Soft Point, (JHP= Jacketed Hollow Point and if GC indicated, means Gas Check at bottom of lead bullet), (Note: These are near maximum loads, you should use 10% less to start. Bullseye, 100% burnt at 2.56 inches of barrel length. Giveaway prizes may have evidence of being test fired or exhibit minor handling marks. They are all determined experimentally. Hornady jacketed over 5gr. Note: A full (I) Giveaway ends April 30, 2023. For hotter .357 Magnum loads, any of the Hornady 158-grain jacketed bullets (hollow points, flat points, and full metal jacket flat points) work superbly well with 15.7 . I prefer the Unique or Universal as of TrailBoss), (Note H110 & W296 are the same as of 2008 as is HP-38 & W231), (IMR 4227 is same as H-4227 if made in Australia), (bullets seated deeper = higher pressures) (I dont recommend lead at over 900 Unique is a good powder to start with. From my perspective in this stage of my life if I could have only one centerfire rifle, it would be a .357 Magnum levergun, with my first choice being the Marlin 1894. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for aNES Membership The benefits pay for the membership many times over. On the other hand, 16.2 Unique is a wonderful choice, but as Beagle333 stated I cannot find any. Subscribe To GUNS Magazine. Louisiana Department of Wildlife & Fisheries, State Agency: Reduced loads in those two can cause some undesirable issues. I use hodgdon HS6 and Lil gun for my .357 loads and lilgun for the .454 casull. That is especially true if you handload. Giveaway prizes may have evidence of being test fired or exhibit minor handling marks. It's a very fast powder so there's not alot of room between starting and max loads. Titegroup, 100% burnt at 1.65 inches of barrel length. A 50-ft target with the .357 Blackhawk using 158-grain cast flatpoints with 7.0 grains of Unique. (III) Giveaway winner(s) chosen by random drawing. So many options, so little experience! Accuracy can be greatly refined through reloading, though I would go factory for self defense. I go through a lot of Blue Dot on 357 mag and you can use it with 38 Spl as well. Washington Department of Fish & Wildlife, State Agency: Winners must respond within 30 days of receiving notification or an alternate winner will be selected. New York Department of Environmental Conservation, State Agency: Need Help?service@guns.comCall (866)582-4867, PO Box 1131 13800 Nicollet Blvd Burnsville, MN 55337 2023Guns.com. But have used Power Pistol in .357 Sig. Some loads use bullets of .358 for jacketed and .359 for lead. One powder for 38 and 357mag. Contest void where prohibited by law. Paul, I just looked at the online loading center for Hodgdon. I too have used Alliant 2400, it makes an excellent full/hunting load. (II) Limit one (1) entry per household; multiple entries will disqualify entrants. Not only is this excellent accuracy, it is a significant increase in muzzle velocity. Indiana Department of Natural Resources, State Agency: All Rights Reserved, it doesnt show its potential unless you start handloading it. Can you do it? I want something that best suits a newbie to reloading. . over 20 years it was simply known as "the Magnum," as there was no For reduced power loads in the .357 I've had great success with accuracy from Trail boss. All entries must be received by giveaway end date. all purpose, and I also use them for .38 special, just less of it. All entries must be received by giveaway end date. I get similar results with the same bullet and 4 to 4.5 grains of W231. Available in 1 lb., 4 lb. Christian, Conservative American, Male, all three of which are currently under attack! Securely hold 6 rounds of revolver ammunition and conveniently load two rounds at a time. One of my favorite heavy bullets is the 200-gr. I just checked my powders, and I have way too much Bullseye, and only a fair amount of 2400. The company made its humble start in 1963in Gussago, Italywhen Giuseppe Pietta made a commitment to produce guns as authentic and true-to-original as possible. (Photo: Andy C). When I dress Western, nothing beats the classic good looks of my Smith & Wesson (S&W) 586 .357 revolver. Any suggestions? The .357 Sig handloads could have been loaded even hotter. The last one, a brand-new Remington/Marlin, came from my local gun shop a couple months back. Prizes will not be awarded if illegal in jurisdiction of winners. You can add Hodgdon Lil'Gun for heavier bullet in the .357 Magnum. Originally Posted by Hick. A Cold War era classic with smooth lines, a legendary back story, and an exotic-sounding name, Beretta's Model 71 was definitely a mouse that roared. Reloading booklet Alliant Powder Co. Reloaders Guide (1995) Hodgdons South Carolina Department of Natural Resources, State Agency: If I was going to use W231 in the .357 mag with 158gr lead bullets I'd keep the load below Speers 5.4gr max and and less than 1,000 fps with soflt swagged or cast bullets. My friend the late John Wootters raised this question in an article from 1983 and even before this, in November 1982, Ken Waters published Pet Loads for the .357 Magnum Carbine.. Nor with small hard bullets are you going to be leading free. No soup can is safe. in the field and very accurate. An area where the .357 Magnum is under appreciated is hunting. Let me be the 1st to say that you can never go wrong with Unique. Will you get good performance out of both calibers? field (against large predators). Then use whatever you can find cheap for 38 special right now. With Titegroup, say in 45ACP, you most likely could even put a triple charge in that case, I would be afraid of using it in any larger case. guys", but have not provided top accuracy in my .357 handguns. Giveaway prizes may have evidence of being test fired or exhibit minor handling marks. Factory warranties may apply in some cases. Bullets are .357 for jacketed and .358 for lead in diameter. I've considered H110, but didn't know if it would be a good "all around" powder. I'm off to a slow start because I have other things going on, but I should be ready to rock real soon. Also 231, which is a completely different type of powder and meters better. If you do use it in your 357Mag revolver, could you do a simple test for us? While the revolver divisions of IPSC and IDPA are dwindling in participation numbers, theyre extremely rewarding to focus on. Any brand-Small Pistol (Magnum) Details. Cartridge Use & HistoryThe .357 Smith & Wesson Magnum, .357 S&W Magnum, .357 Magnum, or 933mmR as it is known in unofficial metric designation, is a smokeless powder cartridge with a .357-inch (9.07 mm) bullet diameter. The firearm hobby is a broad one, with many subdivisions of interest and activity. I purchased my first when they first came out and our family has added three more since then. As most revolver cartridges fade further into obscurity every year, the .357 continues to have new life breathed into it by ammunition companies and gun manufacturers who recognize the demand for this venerable cartridge. Lead bullets are great for such high-volume shooting. I have found these to be useful practice and This is super-low recoiling, and in a relatively heavy gun like a S&W 686, you may find shorter split times than the autoloader shooters. Free shipping for many products! Becoming one of my favorite powders for .32 and .38 revolvers. The "U.S. Rifle, Caliber .30, Model of 1903," better-known as the M1903 Springfield, has become one of the most popular U.S. military small arms to collect. For my hunting / power loads , 2400. .357 Magnum factory In 1935, Smith & Wesson introduced the .357 Magnum. Sounds like things are going real good with the reloading, Chance. No you will not. When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission, which supports our community. Nevada Department of Wildlife, State Agency: Most everything else unique or bullseye. My favorite powder for .357 Mag with 158 gr. All my .38/.357 guns love this load (S&W 642/Ruger Blackhawks/Ruger GP100/Marlin 1894 Cowboy). For .357 the old standby was 2400. Basic Reloaders Manual (1996) Speer Reloading Manual, #12 Winchester amounts listed above (but not where it says start load), and work up to the grain JHP with 583 ft. lbs. A forum community dedicated to Ruger firearm owners and enthusiasts. Is the .357 Magnum a rifle cartridge? Dillon Precision 14400 38 Spl 357 Mag Pistol 3 Three Die Set Carbide Brand New. I'm a little OCD when it comes to reloading and just have to try everything so I can see what the differences are. with 125 and 158 Gr Lead or Coated Lead Bullets. 5, No. Second Media Corp., 111 Peter Street, Suite 600, Toronto, Ontario, M5V 2H1, Canada. The Hornady 158 XTP-JHP over 15.5 grains of H110 is just under 1,600 fps in the Marlin and Rossi .357 leverguns. These are superbly accurate at distances up to 100 yards and pushed by a stout load of 2400 powder. (IV) Winners must undergo a background check (if required) and comply with all other federal, state and local laws. All entries must be received by giveaway end date. Arkansas Game & Fish Commission, State Agency: Virginia Department of Wildlife Resources, State Agency: CCI Primers - Per 1000. I keep my loads to 1,100 FPS in the .357 magnum w/ cast bullets. By focusing on using it for multiple roles, you can save a lot on organization and components, not to mention guns, and youre not likely to miss a beat in efficiency or enjoyment. Take it from a guy that chased for the holy grail of powder to do both well for over a yearjust buy two different powders. More details in the thread in Tech Support for those who are interested. Any thoughts? Find a book that lists loads for the bullet you will use. I highly recommend using 2 different powders to achieve the best results or those 2 very different rounds. Like mentioned, use a magnum primer with magnum powders and do not reduce H1110/Win 296 below recommended start loads. There certainly is no argument when using a .357 Magnum levergun. But you can download a .357 magnum to get a round that still has the powerful feel but is a little less harsh on the hands. If the tolerances are close between minimum and maximum loads, imagine what the effect of different bullets might be. Theres a huge combination of powders, bullets, primers and guns. found the 140-146 grain bullets to be a good all-around choice for use This powder has a low bulk density so it fills the case well to reduce free space in the same way as Trail Boss. We dont always need full power loads and my more pleasant shooting loads are assembled with H4227. A forum community dedicated to Smith & Wesson firearm owners and enthusiasts. These Speer velocities If it's a hunting load or full power defense load your after, a slower powder designed for magnums will give you more versatility. Addeddate 2019-02-28 05:18:26 Identifier CompleteReloadingManualForThe357Magnum2004 Identifier-ark ark:/13960/t22c6j49s Ocr ABBYY FineReader 11.0 (Extended OCR) Follow the reloading manuals precisely. 85. upper mid, etc. In the .357 for heavy loads I have come to love Hodgdon's Lil'Gun w/magnum primers. Hand loading required. I use both bullseye and 231 for 38 special. is 1235 fps and the ME is 535 ft. lbs. Mail-in entries accepted; send postcards (no envelopes) to: GUNS Magazine, Altor Pistols, P.O. No substitutions or transfers to third parties allowed. When using W231/HP38 in .357 magnum loads, you essentially build loads which can be fired in a .357 magnum as opposed to true full power actual .357 magnum ammunition. JHP, 125 gr. (III) Giveaway winner(s) chosen by random drawing. It is not the best for all things, but it will work in just about any pistol caliber! CCI primers. Powder requirements for the plated bullets are supposed to be half way between lead and jacketed reloading data. I use a good bit of Titegroup in .380, 9mm, .40 and .45ACP. I was surprised by how dirty and smokey my rounds were. Home Of The First Capitol Of The Confederate State, REPUBLIC OF TEXAS, DISTRICT OF ROUND ROCK. Second Media Corp., 111 Peter Street, Suite 600, Toronto, Ontario, M5V 2H1, Canada. All information is provided "as is" with all faults without warranty of any kind, either express or implied. It would (just) make major from a 6" barrel back when a 6 shot .357 could still be somewhat competitive in USPSA revolver class. What velocities can I safely work my Model 14 up to? If your looking for cast targets loads I run clays in 38spl with some variety of wad cutter. Bianchi Speed Strips are a compact loading device for revolvers . If you are looking for a target/plinking load for your 357's I have found using 5.5 grains of Unique behind either a 158 grain LSWC or Rainier Plated bullet to be very accurate and pleasurable to shoot. bullet to a MV of 1352 fps. John Wootters questions as to whether or not the .357 Magnum was a rifle cartridge is pretty much the same conclusion I came to many years ago. I'm thinking Unique, but I'm not sure. 231 is fine for a 38 load but not slow enough for a full house 357. Aside from your .357 loads, you can fire several others in it, including the .38 Short and Long Colt and the .38 Special. Contest void where prohibited by law. Not sure of your experience level , ya need to get some manuals and study up the bullet weights your gonna shoot. .357 Magnum hunting loadout. I use 4.2 grs. West Virginia Division of Natural Resources, State Agency: (II) Limit one (1) entry per household; multiple entries will disqualify entrants. Theres load data for pretty much all of them in 38 special. You can. John said in 1983, All in all, I wound up this research project considerably more impressed with the .357 Magnum as a rifle cartridge than I expected to be when I started out the little pistol round can deliver the goods in a rifle and more importantly, provide an awful lot of shooting fun per penny in the process. (IV) Winners must undergo a background check (if required) and comply with all other federal, state and local laws. Associated taxes and fees are the responsibility of winners. The four most common for magnum .357 loads would probably be Alliant 2400, Alliant #9, Hodgdon H110, Winchester W-296. While the Colt Model 601 was the first AR-15 to be mass-produced, there were several design variations that came before during the platform's development. Factory warranties may apply in some cases. Sounds like you used a standard primer. with bullets weighing from 125-158 grains. (IV) Winners must undergo a background check (when required) and comply with all other federal, state and local laws. A shooter using the .357 must limit himself to broad-side shots on deer. personal loads where noted. I've been loading a 180gr. Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. 357 Armour Piercing(no longer legal or available), 160 gr. No purchase necessary. for the magnum pistol loads and for rifle. 6.1 gr. Factory warranties may apply in some cases. (II) Limit one (1) entry per household; multiple entries will disqualify entrants. Remington's Nylon 66 semi-automatic .22 LR rifles have grown from 1950s bargain buys to 21st century collectors darlings. H110 and Win 296 is the most common magnum loads for .357 Magnum. No substitutions or transfers to third parties allowed. I dont worry about the power factor much because CAS threshold is so low, its not worth the tiny savings in recoil against having to compensate for a two inch high point of impact. Associated taxes and fees are the responsibility of winners. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding. Every cowboy needs a revolver. )(2009 Note: Some of these loads are from 1996 and in the passing years the powder companies have reduced their maximum loads particularly ones that have been around a long time like Unique. Not bad for jacketed either, but wont launch em near as fast as 2400 or H110. ticket for many big game hunting applications and for defense in the Winners will be notified by certified mail on official letterhead. Box 488, Escondido, CA 92033. I am used to lighter bullets for 38 SC and 9 Major but I see most of the people use heavier bullets in .357? It's also useful in somewhat reduced loads for the 357 and 44 magnum cartridges. Firearms dont get much more iconic than John Moses Brownings legendary Auto-5 semi-auto shotgun, affectionately called the Humpback for its distinctive drop at the rear of the receiver. I'll get there and with everyone's help here I think things will go fairly well. I have also used Unique with success on lighter loads, Bullseye, Red Dot and American Select didn't impress me for 357 but I didn't try too hard either. * Bullseye, Unique and 2400 are products of Alliant (formerly Hercules) Powders. Maximum versatility? Mississippi Deptartment of Wildlife, Fisheries & Parks, State Agency: These two have always worked best for me. New Jersey Division of Fish & Wildlife, State Agency: The reason I moved to Alliant Power Pro 300MP was I was impressed with what I read about it and have found it to be very clean burning, relatively low muzzle flash, accurate and can get a 150 to 250 more fps while still keeping well within the SAAMI 35,000 psi limit. For Follow the reloading manuals precisely. Contest open to U.S. residents only. All entries must be received by giveaway end date. The Hornady 140 grain FTX bullet is different from other 357 jacketed bullets a couple of important points need to be made right off: Cases will need to be trimmed to 1.240" instead of the usual 1.290". Deployed military should use stateside address. Winners must respond within 30 days of receiving notification or an alternate winner will be selected. Two guns, one cartridge: The Marlin 1894 and the Ruger Old Model. a slower burning powder, I suggest H-4227, LilGun, W-296,2400, HS6 or No. To protect the privacy and security of winners, names will not be made public. What should the discerning collector look for in a potential buy? The aforementioned 180 grain lead bullet will give you a definite advantage, especially in bowling pin shooting, while keeping the costs controllable. Factory warranties may apply in some cases. 32 H&R Magnum. Sanctify them through thy truth: thy word is truth. FPS) (unless at least using a Gas Check) (with pure lead wadcutters, do not Snuffy. (IV) Winners must undergo a background check (if required) and comply with all other federal, state and local laws. (I) Giveaway ends December 31, 2022. A Magnum primer will help get a complete burn with HP38/W231. rickyd.41Mag said: HP 38/W231 is my most widely used powder. cartridges. I am looking for a powder I can use for both lead/target loads for the 357 Magnum that I can also use for 38 Special loads.

Non Euclidean Minecraft Mod Bedrock, Pilonidal Cyst Bleeding Months After Surgery, Articles B

best powder for 357 magnum loads