first families of north carolina surnames

Any details or assistance would be greatly appreciated. Hardcover, 8 x 11, xii, 437 pages, Clearfield Co., Inc., Baltimore, MD, 2008,$30.00. That is assumed, unless they are labeled as African or Indian or something else. John Cotton II This list is the only one of these first settlers I have been able to secure. Daniel Shine Ephraim Overman, Sr. William Haskett Seldom do any genealogies state that someone is of European descent. John Morris Right on the Nuesebetween RaleighSmithfieldKinstonGoldsboro.is a big time Tuscarora Territory and several old villages. N. J., of this line, was John Jacob Astor's most trusted man in the company that founded Astoria, Ore., Apr. Aaron Blanchard My father said i have indian blood,but would like to know if there are any records to search or Test. There are a total of 15 segments of this series. The territory was named Carolana after King Charles I of England. Isaac Page Mr. Small, my G grandmother was Clara Small and I am a Ruffin and the Smalls, Bonds and Smallwoods are said to be related families so if you find any info on anyone from the India Woods area please send me an email (josh3609@gmail.com) sirthanks in advance!! John Speir, andWilliam Whitehead;Benjamin Lakerof Perquimans Co., NC;John MannII;Thomas MannII; Dr.Godfrey Spruill,Ann Walker,Henry NormanI and II;Thomas Vinsonof Surry Co., VA, and Northampton Co., NC. Some researches have pointed me toward the Tuscarara Tribe. Fully documented sketches of the third set of ancestors (125) used by members of the OFFNC, complete with a documented list of children and their spouses. Richard Pace, Jr. Thomas Everett William Hooks, Sr. Benjamin Boykin She married Daniel Jones and they moved to Martin County, NC..her birthday is 1856. (However on her Death certificate is states Black.) As evidenced by the modern-day Highland Games, these Scots and their families migrated to other parts of the state, where aspects of their culture . There was no designation for an Indian outside of those categories because the aim was commit genocide via the pen. Thomas Jarvis Corrections and Additions to Vol. George Coburn, Sr. Robert Coxe, Sr., of Perquimans died testate between 21 Feb 1725-6 and 25 Nov 1730, Little River precinct, Chowan Co., NC. His will was filed among NC Secretary of State loose wills. Places; Login. Advice on the first three steps of sound genealogical research: getting organized, beginning with census and vital records; and extending your search to more detailed sources. She is not listed on a y census that I can find as Native, but family understood her to be Tuscarora. The name has various spellings and includes GRAY and GREY - sometimes different spellings occur in the same generation of a single family.The first Gray to arrive in the United States was John Gray in about 1620.The origins of the name would seem to be multiple. My family ended up in EUREKA, TX. Many of the surnames, about 35% are of Highland Scots ancestry. Benjamin Lane, Dutton Lane, Joseph Lane, Sr., Leonard Langston, Sr., Cornelius Loftin, Leonard Loftin, James Long I, James Long II, James Long III, James Long IV, James Long V, William Loveridge, William Luten, Peter Mallard, Roger Mason, Dr. Patrick Maule, Barnaby McKinne, James McKoy, Thomas Mewborn/Mewboorn, John Mitchell, Sr., Robert Morgan, Joseph Morris, John Morris/Morrison, John Nelson, Jr., Miriam Newby, William Nicholson, Henry Norman I, Henry Norman II, Jacob Overman I, Jacob Overman II, John Overman I, Isaac Page, John Parrish, Sr., Jacob Parrott, Sr., Robert Patterson, Edmund Pearce, Edmund Pearce, Jr., Henry Pendleton , David Perkins, Jeremiah Perry, Paul Phillips, Samuel Pike I, Jacob Pope, William Pope, John Porter, Jr., John Porter II, John Pretlow, William Pridgeon, William Putnell, Matthew Raiford, Henry Raper, Sr., John Raper, Andrew Read, Lyonell Reading, Sarah Reeves, William Rhodes, Sr.,XWilliam Ricks, Francis Rountree, Samuel Ruffin, William Ruffin, John Sawyer, Thomas Sawyer, Francis Shackelford, John Shackelford, Sr., John Shackelford, Jr., David Shepard I, David Shepard II, Richard Silvester, Edward Simmons, Ebenezer Slade, Henry Slade, Sr., Henry Slade, Jr., Christian Sloback, Benjamin Small, John Small, Charles Smith, Edmund Smithwick, Edward Smithwick, John Smithwick, Richard Sowell, Sr., Richard Sowell, Jr., Francis Speight, Henry Speller, John Stafford, Mary Stafford, William Stafford I, William Stafford, Jonathan Standley, Darby Sullivant, Thomas Sutton, Thomas Taylor, John Trippe I, Robert Turner, Cornelius Tyson, Edmund Tyson, Moses Tyson, Susannah Tyson, Edward Vail, Ann Walker, Robert Warburton, Edward Ward, Col. Edward Ward, Enoch Ward, Thomas Weeks, John Wheatley, George Williams, Sr.. John Williams (Perquimans), Richard Williford, Sr., Richard Williford, Jr., AndrewWoodley, Thomas Woodley, William Woodley, George Wynns, John Wynns, John Yelverton, Sr. Order of First Families of North Carolina, Ancestor Biographies:Vol. George Fort II Christopher Dale Does anyone have any info/connection to Williams or Miller from the NY Tuscarora? John Morrison Jacob Pope (d. 1772) John Barclift Richard Felton M. Beauchamp and including extensive annotations, may be They could be part of the Machapunga Tuscarora.I used to have Pierce friends from Piny Woods. Paul Phillips Stillhave questions? William Hooks, Jr. Surnames from the NC group, excluding the NY chiefs, include Allen, Basket(t), Blount/Blunt, Bridgers, Cain, Charles, Cope, Cornelius, Dennis, George, Gibson/Gipson, Hancock, Harry, Hicks/Hix, Howett/Hewett, Jack, James (may be first name only), Joe as in Capt. North Carolina, Native American Census Selected Tribes, 1894-1913 is a database available on Ancestry Library Edition. I have no males left in my Familyany Help???? John Hinton Im a Brooks and my Smiths are Tuscarora but cant figure out where the Tuscarora Smiths line starts. William Drummond, Christopher Dudley,George Durant, John Edwards, Robert Ellis, Sir Richard Everard, Nathaniel Everitt, George Fort,John Freeman, Jr., Thomas Futrell II, Henry Gibbs, Sr., Rev. Could you be a little more specific in the region involved? Share your family tree and photos with the people you know . Jeremiah Symonds Before the naming of these settlers, please allow focus on the early surnames who arrived before 1755. William Luten Rank Surname Incidence Frequency Percent of Parent Rank in United States; 1: Smith: 130,234 . Softcover, 6 x 9, xxix, 666 pages, Jackson, Miss, 2006,$30.00. 1.16 T. 1.17 U. In 1663, King Charles changed the spelling of the name to Carolina In 1729, King George II took Carolina over and split it into North Carolina and South Carolina. Rachel (Welch) Lawrence Pricklove Henry Pendleton In the Tuscarora language, it is said to mean that, yes. Thank you. William Rhodes, Sr. William Brown This website is undergoing design changes. Learn how your comment data is processed. Tuscarora surnames recorded from NY in the War of 1812 include: Allen, Beach, Blacknose, Cusick, Fox, Green, Henry, (possibly), Miller, Mount Pleasant, Patterson, Pemberton, Peter (possibly), Printup, Sky, Smith (possibly), Thompson, Williams. They are both from the Bertie, North Carolina Area. James Curry Edward Rutland Though, she was mentioned to say her name was to remember the Old Ones. Thomas Wallis John Bryant However, it is actually documented in several books and it is not hidden..just not broadcasted. Rev. Walter Lane Required fields are marked *. William Martin Henry White, Jr. John Clarke II Smith was listed as an executor, so may have been a surname from before leaving North Carolina. Jacob Barnes Samuel Wheatley I . Stephens parents could possibly have been Amos Owen / Owens and Rachel Seward. 3. Thomas Taylor The first European settlements in North Carolina were along the Albermarle Sound. Capt. James Long V Thomas Bateman II John Wheatley Capt. 27:3 (Fall 2002), Thomas Hart Her father was Wesson Taylor and mother Harriet Ross of Pitt county. Thanks. Caleb Sawyer Robert Turner 2ndprinting, 2014, softcover. Thomas Smith I William Merritt However, I didnt see the surname listed here. William Whitfield William Lawrence Among the top 15 fastest-growing last names (2000-2010), all but one are predominantly Asian or Hispanic . Adam Ferguson, Jr. Jeremiah Sexton They are related to the Spellers and Bond. The first mention of Craven as a surname in Yorkshire appears to be a Thomas de Craven, son of Ragnald de Rawdon, in the early 13th century. Ezekiel Maudlin William Baldwin Im lookimg for Mary Dennis, born around 1784 in the Bertie County area. Robert Hill Any help finding Cyrus (Cyranius) Cornelius 1825 would be helpful. Second Edition. Do you know of the name Taconte or Davonte. Thank You. 1 Caswell 1 Catawba 1 Chatham 2 Cherokee 1 Chowan 2 Currituck 2 Dare 1 Davidson 4 Duplin 1 Durham 2 Edgecombe 2 Forsyth 11 Gaston 1 Graham 1 Granville 8 Guilford 15 Halifax 1 Haywood 1 Iredell 9 Jackson 1 Johnston Jones Lenoir Lincoln Mecklenburg New Hanover Orange Pender Perquimans Person Pitt Randolph Richmond Robeson Rockingham Rowan 8 Henry Stanton, Jr. Robert Willson How or is there a record of the genealogy of the Native tribes in eastern Carolina? Benjamin Sanders Alexander Avera I Order of First Families of North Carolina - Registry of Ancestors Vol. We were told that Charles Wesley was full Tuscarora, but I believe it was his father, Branson who was the full Native American. Do you have anything in the Tuscarora from the Lost Creek Settlement? William Pope Yorkshire. Thomas Loftin Jacob Overman I Micall Wilson Cornelius Loftin Transatlantic origins are given where known, and colonial origins discussed. William Stancell Crisp James Leigh, Jr. Dr. James Spier I am a descendent of that line. Discover your DNA story and unlock the secrets of your ancestry and genealogy with our DNA kits for ancestry and the world's most comprehensive DNA database. The Chickamauga gave in after their leader was assassinated. I am a descendant of David Howell too. James Beasley, Jr. Marmaduke Norfleet 1. John Shackelford, Sr. James Spier, Jr. John Cannon Jean Depp Richard Bounds From oral family tradition, it is known that we have an Indigenous ancestor, and she would be of the correct generation. Samuel Williams Hi. Like MonkColesBissell and Strickland. James Drake The List of Eight Keziahs chose their name sometime around 1750. have you found any Indians from the towpath area between WV and Virginia, in Jefferson county. In fact the records tell us clearly that William Cain, a Tuscarora youth remained and we know he reached the age of majority, declined to move to NYand was last seen heading for Raleigh. The Concessions and Agreements of Albermarle Province were written in 1665 with the name being changed to North Carolina in 1691. I am looking for lineage on the Chief Samuel Smith line if anyone knows where to find it. John Trippe I The surname in Tuscarora goes back to at least 1685 on the Roanoke River in land deeds, court records etc. These were John Mackintosh Moore, John Mackintosh, Roland McDonald, John McDonald, John MacLean, John McIntosh, John McIntosh Bain, James Mackay, Daniel Clark, Alex Clark, I. Burgess, D. Clark, Jr., A. McBain, Wm. Nicholas Hunter (of Onslow) Had an uncle that spent his life researching our background and took all his info found to the grave with him. The first record I found for him is the 1840 census, which has very little information outside of who lived in the household and then he was gone by 1850 (presumed dead). My great great grandmothers name is Martha Ann Taylor of Pitt County NC. Order of the First Families of North Carolina. MY FAMILY I BELIEVE WAS GIVEN 600 ACRES. Thomas Palin, Jr. I wonder if she was adopted? One: We support the research and teaching mission of East Carolina University and preserve the cultural heritage of the eastern North Carolina community through digital initiatives, especially the creation of digital library materials and tools. James Rutland Your email address will not be published. The English's earliest known settlementRoanoke Islandwas along the coast, though it did not survive. Baby Name Generator. There are more names as well on the 6 NATIONS reserve. William Woodley William Kinchen III After checking outtheir genealogy FAQs, you cancontact the library's genealogy expertsthrough the library's website. John Mason, Sr. Susannah (Tyson) Hardee Robert Peele II Richard Barfield, Sr. How many generations does a bloodline run? Thomas Relfe Nathaniel Albertson An index of resources from military records to census materials and beyond that can help you with your family history research project. Hardcover, 6 x 9, xiv, 521 pages, Baltimore, Md., 2014,$35.00. John Martin (of Pasquotank) William Charlton James Poitevint Peter Jones, Sr. Much information never seen before. Robert Peele I John Rutland Thomas Blount II Richard Braswell III As for dnahmmmfnative american dna uses western tribes as the standard. please let me know. Id also like to find some information on this link to the Tuscarora as my Russell line is German, Irish & Cherokee. Heads of families at the first census of the United States taken in the year 1790 : North Carolina - North, S. N. D. (Simon Newton Dexter), 1849-1924 [Type written book, indexed.] Sir Richard Everard Albert Albertson, Sr.,Nathaniel Albertson,Simon Alderson, Sr., John Alston, Sr., John Archbell, William Bailey, Henry Baker II, Thomas Barecock, Edward Barnes, Jacob Barnes, Joseph Barnes, John Bass, William Bateman, Abraham Baum, William Bennett, Ann Bigg, Benjamin Blanchard, Capt. A lock icon or https:// means youve safely connected to the official website. John Nixon John Williston Benoni Loftin My reading is that the name Kizziah means one who shares my fire, or a family member that one lives with. Hello. John Raper Robert Peele III Ready to get started researching your family history? John Speir Youll have to go up the tree and back down to find a Blount male. Surnames, Mitchell, and Reynolds. Jonathan Pearson Giovanni da Verrazonoa was the first European explorer of North Carolina in 1524. Thomas Devane I know they once resided in Dinwiddie Virginia and later migrated to Pittsylvania/Henry County. my name is Norma fine maiden name is Howell my dads name was Lester Edward Howell his dads name was Clarence Orlin Howell, is this somehow a connection here. Leonard Langston, Sr. Joseph Scott Daniel Halsey John Smith, Sr. Known Indian villages are given with modern-day equivalent town names, as well as any surnames that appear as "Other Free" on the . We share a keen curiosity about who our ancestors were and what motivated them to move to this beautiful but demanding place. Alice (_____) Hawkins Davis Wade Francis Pugh Thank you. William Newby Philip Torksey Hi Brandy! http://dna-explained.com/2012/12/18/proving-native-american-ancestry-using-dna/. These are Gist, Brannon, Brown, Nelson, Bryan, Boon, Cleveland, and Wilson. Richard Graves The next record I was able to find was the Indian Census of New York from 1888-1891 in which I found . William Daw, Sr. James Blount I am through Ancestry and FTdna ,Related to the Gibsons, Hicks, Owens, Rogers,Stone, Walker and Wheelers. Secure websites use HTTPS certificates. As you know I was R-m269 The other person in charge of the Iriquois dna would let me in the group saying that the nearest Native in my male line would have been 5 generations. It appears Hattie was born in NY, however, Im pretty sure she was born in NC in 1871. Some Colonial and Revolutionary Families of North Carolina. John Bright (of Currituck) Francis Delamare, Sr. Ancestor Biographies: William Drummond;Nathaniel Everettof Tyrrell Co., NC;William Bridgers,John Cotton,OsborneandSimon Jeffreys, Capt. Benjamin Blount James Farlee Elizabeth (Overman) Morris (Carolus means Charles in Latin.) William Coward Peter Dauge to Arii, does Dake have any descendants named Peter, by any chance? Capt. i also had a sister named Debbie Howell. THOMAS RASH CAME HERE WITH A MAN THE LAST NAME OF THOMAS WHOM WAS GIVEN LAND TO HELP SETTLE LAND FOR A OR THE KING OF WALES. Needham Bryan II John Yelverton, Jr. Thanks for any help! Though the library is the hub of our information for family history research, we've aggregated other resources from across our divisions, museums, historic sites and other programs below that may help you in your search. Marriage Bonds Iredell 1-reel 1790-1866. Dutton Lane Raleigh, NC 27699-4600, An official website of the State of North Carolina. William Watkins Charles Blount Best to search Surname only on first try. Hugh Smithwick Darby Sullivant James Bryant, Jr. Edward Mayo, Jr. State Government websites value user privacy. John Henby, Sr. Family Records Learn about genealogy resources available in our print and digital collections. Its meaning varies and such differences are contingent upon time and place. Simon Bright Did they then resume their original name? The two other brothers went to North Carolina and founded families. George Kornegay Simon Anderson First Families of Virginia (FFV) were those families in Colonial Virginia who were socially prominent and wealthy, but not necessarily the earliest settlers. Albert Albertson, Sr. Joseph Moore YesBond is Tuscaroraand OutlawsJoynerCherryCooperlots are missing. Walter Draughon John Alston They always cited the darker complexion of Malinda in pictures as proof. . Thomas Overman Stephen Swaine Benjamin Laker Joseph Sutton When Virginia ratifielded its race laws in 1823, half his decendants moved to KY and IN. Gather as many names and dates and you can. Jeremiah Vail John Early, Sr. i have been trying to research the Boston family from the Carolinas and dont get past 1870. i am also a howell and a smith, if anyone has any information Thomas Wallace Rebecca (Sebrell) Pretlow William Loveridge John Bundy Homes can tell as rich of a story as the people who inhabited them. They were fighting the British. Thomas Peirce, Jr. Thomas Brown Capt. Some Cherokee surnames have English, Scots-Irish and Scottish origins. John Bryan (of Craven) John Harrison I 1. ej Two: ANY help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Lawrence Mackque I am trying to find out how the name became native and if the two sides of my family Cusicks are related. William Maund, Jr. John George Kornegay ing i.e. Henry Palin, Jr. North Carolina, the Old North State and the new Ancestry. Henry Norman I Corrections and Additions to Vol. My Smith line comes out of Bertie county, looking for more info on Tuscarora Smiths. John Archbell Robert Beasley William Brown (of Martin) Lewis Williams Robert Daniel I Thomas Luten Benjamin Pritchard Robert Lanier William Hilliard She was born c.1905 in Lewiston, Niagara County. Matthias Tyson It is also very likely that the DNA of proven Tuscarora paternal lineswill match that of descendants, possibly carrying differentsurnames, in the Carolinas where weknow that some of the Tuscaroraremained or married and assimilated. William Johnson (of Carteret) Hardcover, 6 x 9, xx, 552 pages, Baltimore, Maryland,$30.00. Edward Boykin, Jr. I am having a few road blocks. Any help with this info a out this amazing marriage / couple would be appreciated. Joseph Barnes Francis Tomes Samuel Pike I My Great -Grandfather married Romaine Newsome in 1912. But most of those names are in Johnston County. Edmund Chancey, Jr. James Long I Edward Norwood Thomas Sutton John Porter, Sr. Thomas Kearney Covers everything from detailed looks at using specific types of records for genealogical research to quick weekly tips on how to jump start your family history research project. Nobody who resembled Sitting Bull ran through the southeastern part of the United States. Search our database to determine if you are one of the proud descendants of the Cherokee Indian blood line. James Boone Create a free website or blog at WordPress.com. North Carolina & South Carolina. Have been doing my Family Tree and hit a wall at my 4th Grandfather Reuben(Rubin) Blount/Blunt (born abt.1765_1775 in NC). Thomas Sawyer (d. 1765) As a child my family visited the Tuscarora Reservation and Church in about 1950 and met Louise Taconte (or Daconte). Francis Delamare, Jr. I am trying to trace my native heritage and she is as far back as I have information about (maternal grandmother). John Small David Perkins She was born before 1755 according to the 1800 census and is found in Edgefield County, SC in 1790 and 1800. v Genealogy: 610 2 0 |a Order of First Families of North Carolina: 949 |b 32046556828353|c ORLANF. Robert Morgan The State Library may be able to help. Edward Carter Richard Elkes My ggggrandfather was a Solomon Allen. This tool can help African Americans discover their enslaved ancestors. Richard Vick I Thomas Blount, John Bond, Richard Bond,XCapt. Can Anyone tell me if the last name Bond is of Tuscarora linage. Richard Allen, Jr. William Willson (of Tyrrell) I have a book called Seven Generations of Iroquois Leadership, Lt. Cornelius Cusick is in it.. on the front page of the book is a picture of him and he looks as English as an English man can, he is wearing an army coat with medals , he was born on the Tuscarora Reserve.. his grandfather was Nicholas Kaghnatsho Cusick.. This easy-to-read guides explains how to dig deep and find vital records from before 1913, when vital records were first kept statewide. Surnames from the NC group, excluding the NY chiefs, include Allen, Basket(t), Blount/Blunt, Bridgers, Cain, Charles, Cope, Cornelius, Dennis, George, Gibson/Gipson, Hancock, Harry, Hicks/Hix, Howett/Hewett, Jack, James (may be first name only), Joe as in Capt. Thomas Kirby, Sr. Capt. John Blount (1765) Edward Trotman Nathaniel Averitt (of Onslow) We in the Order of First Families of North Carolina all descend from the settlers who arrived in our state prior to 1729. Page images of the 1892 edition, edited by William William Jackson There are a number of families that are identified as being Indian on this reservation . He lamented the "circus" brought to Walterboro by the six-week trial of Alex Murdaugh, which ended this [] Francis Parker ERWIN Mrs. Frances Marie Upchurch Johnson, age 99, died Thursday morning, Feb. 23, 2023, six days shy of her 100th birthday, surrounded by her loving family. William Elliott Robert Coxe, Sr. Contains many wills from Nansemond Co., VA, some from Warwick Co., VA. Full name, location, slave indices. John Fonville Family background is supposed to be Tuscarora or Shawnee, from that area. Order of the First Families of North Carolina listing of ancestors as of 10 Mar 2019. Richard Sanderson, Caleb Sawyer, Thomas Sayer/Sawyer, Rebecca Sebrell, Matthew Sellers, Thomas Sessums, Darby Sexton, Thomas Sharbo, Alexander Sherrod, Robert Sherrod, Daniel Shine, John Shine, Robert Sims, Nicholas Smith, Robert Smith, Hugh Smithwick, Col. John Snoad, Capt. Elias Fort John Lawrance I Is the name Lassiter out of Bertie County NC associated with the Native Americans in that area. William Bateman Robert Ellis Ann Walker I have no documents saying this but I would like help to further research if anyone has any tips! Anthony Haskett, Jr. Charity (Alston) Dawson does anyone know how the name Cusick got to be native, I have got Cusick on both sides of my family.. some were in the states and in the civil war. George Powell The migration of Scottish Highlanders, in particular, to North Carolina began in about 1729 (Conner, 1919) and grew steadily until the outbreak of the American Revolution.

The Vault Bushey, Michael Thompson Wife, College Athletic Director Salary 2020, Ben Carson Brother, Articles F

first families of north carolina surnames