michael hinojosa sons

At the time, some officials speculated that Cordova was the next chief in training. The live broadcast will on Love Field's Facebook and YouTube Live. At the time, the district had recently experienced a tornado that destroyed three schools. Hinojosa maintained a 4.0 grade-point average at the University of Texas while earning his doctor of education in 2001 after getting earlier degrees at Texas Tech and North Texas. A handful of North Texas superintendents are stepping down. HEB named Dallas ISD the best large district in the state a couple of years ago. 0. The DMN Education Lab is a community-funded journalism initiative, with support from The Beck Group, Bobby and Lottye Lyle, Communities Foundation of Texas, The Dallas Foundation, Dallas Regional Chamber, Deedie Rose, The Meadows Foundation, Solutions Journalism Network, Southern Methodist University and Todd A. Williams Family Foundation. Visitation will be held from 5-7 Thursday, November 29 with the Rosary to begin at 7 pm in . So I feel like Ive put a lot of effort in my position. [8] In January 2022, Hinojosa announced he would resign before the end of 2022, potentially to run for mayor of Dallas. Greg Abbotts executive order forbade such a requirement. Dr. Michael Hinojosa, who served as the superintendent of the Dallas Independent School District from 2005-2011 and again since 2015, is expected to soon announce his intent to retireperhaps as . He has a big, complex state to run. Seeing his rise from a kid in Oak Cliff to Superintendent in Dallas just speaks volumes to me of the Latino perseverance to make their mark, Garcia said via text. Nonprofits North Texas Giving Day Elevator Pitches, Preston Hollow Crime Reports July 12 18, Summer Is For Stand-Up: Dallas Comedy Club Offers Classes, Camps, Canine Cowboys Fanatic, Jet-Setting Sisters Star in Books For Children. Cindy worked for Wells Fa , Hinojosa suggested superintendents and doctors had been hung out to dry by bans on school mask mandates in several states. She has served students in various roles, including as a teacher, principal, assistant superintendent, and deputy chief. -. Obviously, they have issues and problems, but I was impressed with the quality and services that their front office supplies and the high-achieving students they produce. I wont leave this Earth until I get justice for my son, his mother said. Surveillance footage showed all three men in front of the home before the shooting and witnesses walking past them twice. found Dallas had improved in 4th- and 8th-grade math, as well as in 8th-grade reading. A study of large districts National Assessment of Educational Progress scores released by that organization in June found Dallas had improved in 4th- and 8th-grade math, as well as in 8th-grade reading. They spent a few years in the Panhandle before moving to Dallas where Hinojosa enrolled at Thomas Edison then a K-8 school in the second grade. Hes really done his homework on Cobb, she said. Hinojosas research into the district impressed Post 1 school board member Lynnda Crowder-Eagle of West Cobb. National Claim Services LLC. Hinojosa has been adamant that health and safety decisions should be made by local leaders, and has welcomed legal challenges to that end. Im very excited., Hinojosa demonstrated some of that tenacity in addressing the Dallas media Thursday. [5] At the time he had already signed a contract renewal as DISD superintendent for three years when he announced he was moving. 0:50. But rural school districts are closing. He began his continuous period as DISD . Required fields are marked *. Rebecca Salinas joined KSAT in the fall of 2019. Michael Hinojosa. I said back then, No, this is going to be indefinite,' he said, recognizing the district was very fortunate to be able to get devices out to as many students as possible before spring break. Stephanie Elizalde was elected by the Board of Trustees in June 2022 to serve as Superintendent of the Dallas Independent School District. Dr. Michael Hinojosa served more than 27 years as a superintendent/CEO of six public education systems, including two of the 25 largest school systems in America: Dallas ISD in Texas and the Cobb County School District in suburban Atlanta, Georgia. Hinojosa, 65, hasnt publicly announced his plans; however, various community leaders and trustees are praising the superintendent for his long tenure in Dallas, noting that the districts next leader should share Hinojosas deep commitment to DISDs children. At 65, he's started his own educational consulting business and may run for Mayor of the City of Dallas in the next election. His resignation will come as a number of other Texas school leaders have departed jobs in their own districts and in some cases, the profession as a whole. Sanderson said he will work through June 30 to help Hinojosa transition to his new post, and Hinojosa told Dallas media that he will stay to finish the budget process there. DISD also established a racial equity office and eliminated discretionary suspensions. After the live broadcast, episodes are available on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, iHeartRadio, and Pandora. Dr. Elizalde is a third-generation public school educator, following in the footsteps of her grandmother and father. In his statements, Johnson began publicly calling out Superintendent Dr. Michael Hinojosa for allegedly failing to follow-up with him, directly, about some safety and security concerns. So if you want to talk about commitment, Ive put my heart and soul into this job. He was honored as Distinguished Alumnus by the College of Education at Texas Tech University and as the Outstanding Latino Educator by the Association of Latino Administrators and Superintendents in 2014.In 2019, D Magazine named Dr. Hinojosa the Best Public Official in Dallas. Her songs blend the genres of country, folk and Hispanic music in a way that can only be described as a musical . He's a great communicator, said Josue Tamarez Torres, a 4th-grade math teacher at Cesar Chavez Learning Center. See Photos. A report compiled earlier this year for the district by CTC Technology & Energy also made several high-level recommendations that were presented to the districts Board of Trustees this summer. SAN ANTONIO A man accused of fatally shooting a young San Antonio rapper during an argument on the West Side last month has been arrested, according to court documents. Just one more week and Im gone.. And the board members, once they realized that we didn't have time for a board meeting, we didn't have time to do all these other things they got over it., The support from the community has actually even gotten better, he said. The superintendent earns close to $352,000 annually, putting him among the highest-paid school leaders in Texas. Michael Hinojosa: Well, we only had 100 new cases of the virus on a given day in Dallas County, and so that was manageable. He and his wife, Kitty, have two sons, graduates of Princeton University and Harvard . What is important: What happens next to Hinojosa, and what happens next to DISD? Flores family recently told KSAT that he was an aspiring rapper and father of two boys. Topics covered: K-12 policy, classroom technology, school systems, personalized learning, equity, and much more. Hinojosa said, when he returned, the focus was on implementing good ideas. At 6:00 pm all . People have supported me all the way along, and I've gotten very little pushback.. DISD hired Susana Cordova the previous superintendent of Denver Public Schools to be the districts deputy chief in late 2020. Both will attend Ivy League schools in the fallPrinceton and Harvard, respectively. But after spending his entire 32-year education career in Texas, including 15 of the past 18 years as a superintendent, Hinojosa listened when Cobb called about two weeks ago. His career in public education, from teacher and coach to superintendent/CEO, spans more than four . People Newspapers is a D Magazine Partneraffiliate. If you need help with the Public File, call 210-351-1241. Dallas ISD Superintendent Michael Hinojosa and his son, Taylor, a Hillcrest High School alumnus, are joining the Dallas Love Fields Lead With Love live show and podcast. A Sunset High teacher eventually encouraged Hinojosa to apply for a teaching scholarship, which led him to Texas Tech University. 2? With Hinojosas departure, school districts across Texas will lose an outspoken leader with connections at the Capitol, who often challenged new mandates and helped shape widespread initiatives like Operation Connectivity and school finance reform. Now he's leaving early, and some are wondering if a . Dr. Michael Hinojosa has served for over 25 years as a superintendent/CEO of six public education systems, including two of the 25 largest school systems in America, Dallas ISD in Texas and the Cobb County School District in suburban Atlanta, Georgia. His family initially lived in West Dallas for a few months until they relocated to Oak Cliff. She was awarded the UT-Austin Dr. Nolan Estes Leadership Ascension Award five times, most recently in 2022, and earned a Presidential Medal from Ana G. Mendez University. Roberto R. Hinojosa. 2023 engage2learn. The Dallas Morning News 9/16/2022. I was lucky that I had a lot of personal agency, a lot of kids that were my friends didnt have that personal agency, so they got taken over by the system, Hinojosa said in an interview. Dallas school board members were caught off guard by his decision to leave at the end of June, and the Dallas Morning News said in an editorial headline that hes leaving the nations 14th-largest school district in a lurch.. But I think I got forgiven because people understood it. He is survived by his son Derek Guerra; daughter Nola Hinojosa; brother Michael Hinojosa; sister Mary Helen Spears; grandchildren Oscar Delgado, Juliette Delgado, Bionel . Hinojosa said he found the time to navigate around the website amid an ongoing budget crisis for the Dallas schools because of the early schedule he keeps. Dallas ISD superintendent Michael Hinojosa will resign from his role leading the state's second-largest school district by the end of the school year - and . He originated from the Oak Cliff area of Dallas.. Career. He started his career in education as a teacher and coach at W.H. [2] His final day in his first period was June 30, 2011. Hinojosa's announcement caps off a 42-year career improving public education systems across the nation as a teacher, coach, assistant principal, central office staff He is also a past president of the Texas Association of School Administrators. His career in public education - from teacher and coach to superintendent/CEO -spans three decades, including leadership at two of the 25 largest school systems in America - the Dallas Independent School . Half of Biden's COVID-19 test remain unclaimed. But they [school board trustees] need to find someone who can keep this magic going for 10 years and 20 years. Cynthia Ann Salazar Hinojosa "Cindy", 56, passed away August 6, 2020 in San Antonio, Texas. Why did she come here to be No. I am alive and I wont go away., Watch: You will know who I am: Mother of popular San Antonio rapper killed breaks silence. And they might not be the only ones, either. Adamson High School in eighth grade and was the starting quarterback on the football team, point guard on the basketball team and shortstop on the baseball team when a federal desegregation order sparked massive changes in Dallas schools. Evan Smith, CEO of The Texas Tribune, sat down with superintendents Michael Hinojosa of Dallas, Kent Scribner of Fort Worth and Jeannie Stone of Richardson. Responding officers found Flores lying in the street, where he was pronounced dead. Dallas ISD Superintendent Michael Hinojosa visits a classroom after students returned to in-person learning during the COVID-19 pandemic. For Hinojosa, two of those same sources and one other confirm he has long been considering a run for Dallas mayor. Rafael Hinojosa Jr. Rafael Hinojosa, Jr. was born on December 15, 1933 in Hebbronville, Texas, and passed away on January 24, 2016 at the age of 82 in Lago Vista, Texas. Let K-12 Dive's free newsletter keep you informed, straight from your inbox. Copyright 2021 by KSAT - All rights reserved. There are just 14 available ICU beds in Dallas County. She earned a Bachelor of Science degree in biology and a Master of Arts degree in educational leadership from UT San Antonio, and holds a doctorate in educational leadership and policy from UT Austin. Hes run a system thats larger than ours, Bartlett said. Combined, its the second longest tenure of any Dallas superintendent, behind only W.T. Not long after, just before the districts spring break in 2020, Hinojosa saw in the news that the COVID-19 health crisis in China was beginning to spread to the U.S. His team quickly enacted a master plan to roll devices out to students. The district will award one $10,000 Green-Garner . He is also a past president of the Texas Association of School Administrators.Dr. He retired from the Dallas ISD in June 2022 after a long career in public education.With a firm belief that education - not environment - is the key to a students success, he has led several school districts to improved student achievement. At the time, some officials speculated that Cordova was the next chief in training. A generous Texas pension made it feasible for Hinojosa to leave Dallas, where the student population, operating budget and superintendents salary are all roughly 50 percent larger than in Cobb. All three attended Dallas ISD for . Is Dallas becoming unaffordable due to rising housing costs, inflation and stagnating pay? It's my view that Dr. Hinojosas work over the last several years, not just in COVID, has helped set the groundwork for folks to say, I might not agree with you on everything, but I'm willing to hear you out, said Owusu. I get up at 3:45 every morning. In 2011, Hinojosa moved to Georgia where he served as Superintendent of Cobb County School District for a three-year stretch while his two sons were attending school at Princeton University and Harvard University. Francis was a homemaker and a devout catholic where she became a cursillista and . For DISD, this is a crossroads moment. Prior to her tenure in Austin, she was Chief Schools Officer for Dallas ISD, the second-largest school district in Texas. Im proud of the amount of time I spent with my boys and my wife.. A lawsuit against Collier County over a controversial 1,000-acre village proposed east of Golden Gate Estates has taken another turn following allegations of conflict of interest involving a . In his second stint as a superintendent, he has been praised as a steadying force after the tumultuous tenure of the previous superintendent, Mike Miles, while marshalling political support around a tax increase and a $3 billion bond, the largest school bond in Texas history. Hinojosas tenure has also seen the implementation of a Teacher Excellence Initiative, in which the best-performing teachers in the district receive higher pay and are incentivized to take on tougher school assignments. In January, he was equally cagey about that potential run. Greg Abbott's ban and paving the way for dozens of other districts in the state to follow the same path. Now they have a lot of obstacles they need to overcome, but those things can be handled.. This post was contributed by a community member. MARIA DEL CARMEN HINOJOSA EDINBURG - Maria Del Carmen Hinojosa, 64, entered eternal rest on Friday, February 15, 2013 at Doctors Hospital at Renaissance in Edinburg. He and his wife Kitty have two sons, graduates of Princeton University and Harvard University, in addition to Dr. Hinojosa's son from a previous marriage who graduated from Texas Tech University. She has 30 years of experience teaching and leading at the elementary, middle, and high school levels. Hinojsa told the Dallas Morning News that he was leaving because his successor knows the district and really didnt need him to hang around. That action started a state-mandated 14-day comment period, and the board is expected to make the hiring official at its next meeting June 8 at 8:30 a.m. "I'm certainly flattered and honored that they would seek me out for this position, Hinojosa told the Dallas media Thursday night ina news conference, posted online as a video by the Dallas Morning News. He enjoyed working on old cars and trucks. If you dont buy that logic,fine. Maybe he announces this tomorrow, maybe he puts it off a day or a week when he sees this post because, why not, thats the sort of petty thing I would do. That led to the launch of Operation Connectivity, beginning with an initial short-term solution of just giving out hotspots to students. Dallas ISD Superintendent Dr. Michael Hinojosa says he will step down from his post leading the state's second . His original agreement in January with the board prevented him from running for office while he was an employee of the district. When Hinojosa departs, hell leave a DISD thats dramatically different from the one where he grew up nearly a half century ago. . I am going to exit as superintendent. neurocirujano at Clnica Anglo Americana. At the time, the school leader said he would stay for as long as trustees would have him, joking that he had ordered a pine box for his conference room. UPDATED to include Thursday's press conference and reaction to Hinojosa's announcement.. Dallas ISD Superintendent Michael Hinojosa is apparently going to be one in a recent spate of superintendents to resign their posts, the Dallas Morning News reported Wednesday.. Hinojosa reportedly told fellow Texas superintendents about his resignation earlier this week in a phone call. And within 24 hours, we already had options for some of the schools that got damaged.. Hes a very nice guy but has a not-small ego. Dallas ISD graduating seniors can apply now for $2,500 and $10,000 scholarships funded in honor of Superintendent Michael Hinojosa. Board members at Thursday's meeting said they also felt comfortable and confident with naming Hinojosa. The original idea was that hed stick around until December 31, acting as a consultant and superintendent emeritus to help his successor get his or her footing during what is a pretty delicate time for a school district emerging from pandemic learning. Hinojosa would be the first Hispanic superintendent in the Cobb districts 130 years. With a degree in hand, he returned to his old neighborhood in search of a job. visit our Schools and Covid-19 site for resources, Former Superintendent, Dallas Independent School District. I was very impressed with the staff and how much they were able to manage the growth of their buildings. Internships are big too. Stephanie S. Elizalde, Ed.D., Superintendent of Schools. Dallas ISD Superintendent Michael Hinojosa says masks are his only option for keeping schools safe. "I won't leave this Earth until I get justice for my son . He is survived by his wife Maria Adela Hinojosa , sons Rafael (Sonny) (Evie), John (Denise . A press conference is scheduled for 1:30 p.m. Thursday at the districts governance and training center. But if someone was going to run for mayor, and if he or she needed to get his or her ducks in a row to do so, and also his or her current gig didnt allow that, one might resign on a Thursday night, right before the school district goes on break for the summer. This is a developing story and will be updated throughout the day. Dallas ISD is ending its mask mandate. Hinojosa and his wife, Kitty, a high school English teacher, have two grown sons, Taylor, 18, and Michael, 20. National Claim Services Inc, a third party claims administrator for Allstar Financial Group a managing . She stands behind the belief that the teacher is the program.. When you have an inside person, an in house person, it makes a lot of folks from the outside not want to apply for very good reason, Flores said. Long Middle School and is recovering at home. As schools continue returning to in-person learning, administrators are confronting learning loss, content controversies and other challenges. Dallas, Texas 75201. Hinojosa later described the incident as his biggest disappointment.. The Dallas Independent School District (ISD) Board of Trustees approved the rehiring Dr. Michael Hinojosa, 59, as superintendent of schools in a 6-to-1 vote on Tuesday night. That kind of changed the conversation of the notes that I had been giving to other people because this was different.. Lives in San Bernardino, California. Greater Atlanta Area. But the date isnt important. But despite public disputes with Republican Gov. He was preceded in death by his parents Rafael Hinojosa and Maria Gorena Hinojosa. She currently serves as the chair of the Texas Urban Council. She was born July 24, 1964 in Cubero, New Mexico to Armelino and Carmen Salazar. The school board voted 7-0 Thursday night to name Hinojosa, 54, the sole finalist to replace Fred Sanderson, who is retiring June 30. He is no longer here, but I am alive. For one, he is rumored to have hired the consultant Anna Casey, who ran Scott Griggs bid for mayor as well as City Council campaigns for folks like Angela Hunt, Philip Kingston, and Omar Narvaez. I couldve finished my contract, he told reporters at a press conference following his announcement. Her career has included working in diverse school systems from small to large urban settings, including Southwest ISD and San Antonio ISD. We will just have to wait until we find the right person to take his position and move forward, Foreman said. And watching the Cobb school board in action helped secure his desire for the job. Adamson High School where he taught classes and coached sports teams.. ET, Provided by Carolina Biological Supply Company, Star-Spangled Bans: The cost of censoring Americas schools, Top House Republicans introduce Parents Bill of Rights Act, Principal, teacher turnover exceeds pre-pandemic levels, Ballooning teacher pension debt could hinder spending in areas like retention, From finance to food, DC school aims to make CTE more attractive, accessible, Tackling teacher and staff shortages in K-12, Teacher burnout is real. She would take the sting out of Hinojosas retirement announcementwhenever that may be. The Morning News puts the figure closer to $200,000. Hinojosa, a proud graduate of Dallas ISD, holds a doctorate in education from the University of Texas at Austin. We can learn together as a team, and I just feel they have a lot of potential. I have a big, complex school district to run. ", Get the free daily newsletter read by industry experts. . Corbett Smith. He was born June 13, 1968 in Kingsville, Texas to Pedro and Alma Rosa Hinojosa. His career in public education, from teacher and coach to superintendent/CEO, spans more than four decades. Courtesy Dallas ISD. Dallas ISD Superintendent Dr. Michael Hinojosa Leaving District by End of 2022. 2, deputy superintendentSusana Cordova. And for me to have an opportunity to be close to my son kind of changed the equation. 750 St. Paul Street The views expressed in this post are the author's own. Detroit is survived by his loving wife,. He will collect a $180,000-a-year pension from the Teacher Retirement System of Texas on top of his Cobb salary, D Magazine reports. Michael Hinojosa, the superintendent of Dallas ISD, is resigning.

Why Did The Italian Migrate To Australia, Mlb Network Layoffs Eric Byrnes, Kaling International Jobs, Twin City Motor Speedway, Articles M

michael hinojosa sons