zach hoffpauir obituary

With Zach preparing for his first season at NCU, he spoke with Shaw about the craft. Hed be in your heart.. That doesnt tell the story,, Friends remembered Hoffpauir for his energy and personality. Visitation will be observed on Wednesday, January 6, 2016 from 11:00 am until the time of services, at First Presbyterian Church, 1130 Johnston Street in Lafayette. Surrounded by her beloved family, Joyce Ann Hoffpauir, 78, passed away Friday, February 17, 2023. Once again, the sleepless nights began. Cognitive deterioration is the hallmark of CTE, and you rarely see it in 20- and 30-year-olds.. August 25, 2021 8:12 am PT. Because if he had to, he would challenge you and he would step up and say, This is not right.. To suggest human-interest story ideas and other news, reach Obert at richard.obert@arizonarepublic.comor 602-316-8827. Living at Kimberly Court can seem like living in the most convenient location in Boulder. At Stanford, his three-year totals were 11 homers, 58 RBIs and a career .295 batting average. On stage at Christs Church of the Valley after Zachs death, Tyler Thorne urged those in attendance to live as Zach did to be completely present for the needs of others. He was the uniter in his family and in his locker rooms. The Mystic Krewe of Apollo Baton Rouge celebrated its 41st annual ball Jan. 21 at the Raising Cane's River Center. The thing I will always remember about him, outside of his great abilities in football and baseball, was he always made everybody around him better, Taylor said. All Access Digital offer for just 99 cents! Every time Centennial players step on the field, they will walk by the No. Everything he wanted to accomplish, he did.. Never miss an issue. He had 11 rushing touchdowns and 59 tackles, eight for losses, and six interceptions, making The Arizona Republic's All-Arizona team. He hit .455 his senior year in high school in 2012 with five home runs and 22 RBIs. Athletically, Zachs freshman year in Palo Alto was not as prolific as his freshman year at Centennial. /* Add your own MailChimp form style overrides in your site stylesheet or in this style block. The results provided closure, said Doug. I felt helpless because I wanted to fix things for Zach, but I did not know what was really wrong.. 1 of 2 Zach Hoffpauir (10) participates in a scrimmage with Stanford Cardinal teammates in Palo Alto, Calif. on Saturday, April 2, 2016. He never played Pop Warner. Reverend Zach Sasser, Pastor of First Presbyterian Church in Lafayette, will officiate. Zach loved sports and the opportunities they gave him, but he loved spending time with people a lot more. As the calendar turned his freshman year, Hoffpauir went on to start at point guard on the schools basketball team and nearly hit .400 on the baseball team. Somethings wrong with me and I dont know what it is, Zach said of his thoughts at the time. It has been 296 days since the Stanford football team opened fall camp to begin . Then, COVID came. Zach, 26, died in his sleep May 15 at his father's home in Arizona. He played primarily on special teams in football and struggled mightily in baseball. Reporter Jon Wilner contributed to this story. Doug Hoffpauir said in the days after his sons death that he was certain Zach did not die by suicide. On Untold, Zach shared how a psychologist helped him learn how his sense of self-worth had plummeted after Stanford because he felt he was no longer living up to external expectations. Whether movers in Fort Collins are helping you UNC assistant Zach Hoffpauir remembered for, Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window), Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window), Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window), He made us all proud: UNC assistant coach, Stanford graduate Zach Hoffpauir remembered for loving nature, University tops rival Eaton for the third time this season to secure third consecutive trip to girls hoops semifinals, Fridays Class 1A-3A regional/state hoops tournament roundup: Platte Valley girls begin quest for third consecutive title, Windsor girls switch to rarely used 2-3 zone en route to win over Mead in quarterfinals of 5A playoffs, Windsor boys come up clutch, composed down the stretch to top Longmont in 5A hoops quarterfinals, Brought to you by Prairie Mountain Publishing, Weld judge sentences Greeley man to 60 years for October 2020 murder, Fusco Pizza is a love letter to all things Greeley, Friday's Class 1A-3A regional/state hoops tournament roundup: Platte Valley girls begin quest for third consecutive title, Weld and Larimer counties retail food inspection reports, Greeley, Weld County Death Notices for March 3, 2023, Trial delayed for suspect in Investments of Windsor scam, Colorado property owners to face astronomical tax increases next year, Johnstown fisherman reels in the catch of a lifetime while traveling to Texas for son's junior hockey tournament, As Adderall shortage continues, DEA plans to limit some telemedicine prescriptions, House where JonBenet Ramsey was found dead listed for sale for almost $7M, Columbia University permanently drops SAT, ACT admissions requirement, The Waterbed Doctor: California retailer lays claim to retro bed with nearly 40 years of service, sales, Felonious Florida podcast: Missing teenage girl leads to several cases of child sex trafficking, Do Not Sell/Share My Personal Information. In the closing moments of his Untold interview, Zach spoke about the power of vulnerability and opening up to others about what youre going through. "It's humbling to have been trusted by his family to share his story with those who never got to know the real Zach Hoffpauir.". Interment will . In a game against Hamilton, the Huskies retired Hoffpauir's number 31 jersey in an emotional ceremony. Zach Hoffpauir. I'd talk to him for three hours. Family and friends can send flowers and condolences in memory of the loved one. The loss of identity was hard enough, but Zach also endured his parents divorce, his grandmothers lung cancer diagnosis, and a breakup in short succession after he left Stanford. Details are here, and thanks for your support. You can see the history of people like Zach, going slowly downhill. Zach had previously detailed some of his experiences with depression, which can be a symptom of chronic traumatic encephalopathy the degenerative brain disease linked to head trauma in football and other sports. Though concussions derailed his dreams of playing pro football, Hoffpauir was a member of three Pac 12 champion football teams, played in two Rose Bowls and was an All-Pac 12 honorable mention. In a practice his sophomore year, Taylor saw Zach take a hit so big his helmet rotated 90 degrees across his face. You dont pass up Stanford, Shannon said. He was recently hired as an assistant coach for Northern Colorado as his minor league baseball career was officially . I got to know him after the freshmen football season was over, cause he also started on the varsity basketball team at point guard as a freshman. Manoj, who has worked as a freelance videographer for Riccio Productions, ZAP Entertainment and Harvard University, is working in the Phoenix Sports Bureau. Today at No. Fill in some information about your loved one, and we'll generate some text that you can use as a starting point for your online memorial. He made me better.. Hoffpauir hit .295 with 11 home runs and 58 RBIs at Stanford and was a Pac-12 honorable mention pick in 2015. The pills had been laced with fentanyl, according to a report from the Maricopa County Medical Examiners office. All the concussions he got from playing shortened his career. All the things you try to instill in your kid, he was doing that. Zach Hoffpauir, a two-sport standout at Stanford who earned All-Pac 12 honors as a safety in football and played two seasons in the Arizona Diamondbacks' minor league system, has died at age 26. All Access Digital offer for just 99 cents! XFL Week 3 preview: Can AJ McCarron, Battlehawks continue their fourth-quarter heroics? His playing style for Stanford football was no exception. Zach Hoffpauir, a former football and baseball player at Stanford, died in May of an accidental drug overdose, according to a reportciting county medical examiner records in his native Arizona. (He) loved his family so much and would do anything for the people he cared about. Pac-12 recruiting: Huge weekend for Cal while Oregon and L.A. schools also welcome 2024 recruits, Mailbag: Kliavkoffs risky strategy with Pac-12 media rights, Dear Abby: I love my wife but I think I better get divorced, Dear Abby: My wife said she doesn't like it, but it's part of my life, Harriette Cole: She has gone too far with the remote work option, Bobcat seen using Highway 17 wildlife crossing hours after it opens, Authorities: Man bombed PG&E transformers in South San Jose, Ask Amy: I feel guilty for not speaking up about my co-worker's activities, William backed Harry and Meghan's eviction, prefers brother never 'set foot in England again', Map in Murdaugh murder case: 5 deaths and a mysterious shooting, Ask Amy: I didn't ask for what I wanted, and I'm sad they couldn't guess, Miss Manners: I felt bad that they all skipped her baby shower -- and then I found out why, As Adderall shortage continues, DEA plans to limit some telemedicine prescriptions, House where JonBenet Ramsey was found dead listed for sale for almost $7M, Columbia University permanently drops SAT, ACT admissions requirement, The Waterbed Doctor: California retailer lays claim to retro bed with nearly 40 years of service, sales, Felonious Florida podcast: Missing teenage girl leads to several cases of child sex trafficking, Do Not Sell/Share My Personal Information. Thearon W. Henderson/Getty Images. Several themes emerged from their tearful tributes. He had depression, anxiety and insomnia. He began writing whenever he felt anxious, listing whatever he felt grateful for in that moment to ground him. Zachs loved ones will remember his athletic accomplishments, but more than that, theyll remember his gentle spirit that gave love to anyone who would accept it. On the field, Zach excelled in baseball and football, and earned All-American honors for both. Find Fishing Supplies listings in San Francisco, CALIFORNIA. He was never one of the so-called Pee Wee bobbleheads, where the young brain sits atop an undeveloped neck and absorbs hundred, if not thousands of hits. 31, now painted in the teams red and white above the 31-yard line, that will forever represent everything they believed their son Zach valued. Doug Hoffpauir is sharing his sons story to shine a light on the effects of CTE and to encourage those struggling to seek help. My dopamine levels were zero. (AP Photo/Rick Scuteri) Former Stanford safety Zach Hoffpauir's brain is being donated to Boston University. ", Yesterday Heaven gained an angel, and I lost one of my best friends in the world. 2023 www.azcentral.com. Low 42F. This is fun, Zach told Taylor once his helmet was on straight. The family does not expect results from the local autopsy for two or three months and the CTE study will likely take a year or more. In the documentary, Hoffpauirs mother described a world in which her son lived into middle age. On top of the depression and anxiety, he was diagnosed with Lyme Disease in 2019, which weakened his immune system. He was 26. As he grew up, he would hit socks across his home with a spatula. By Tom Scanlon, Glendale Star Managing Editor. The diagnosis helps explain why Zachs mood and behavior changed so much once he left college. Just to so many people, so many people he would have reached and touched in the future. Every day Zach Hoffpauir gave his love and passion to his family, his teammates and the players he coached. He . MIAMI William Henry Trotter Bush, a wealthy investor and the brother and uncle of presidents, has died. CLF is a Registered 501(c)(3) nonprofit Organization, In a September 2019 interview on Untold,, in a 2021 documentary from Sports360AZ about Zachs life. (Courtesy of the Hoffpauir family), Zach Hoffpauir, right, and Christian McCaffrey, left, stand during a Stanford football practice. To the casual onlooker, it would have seemed Zach had life all figured out. McCaffrey shared similar sentiments, noting Zachs unique passion for leading the players and honesty about his own experiences. He could walk into a room and light up the room., Matt Rodriguez, another teammate, said, He made plays, he was always talking, he was always clowning, roasting everybody, no one talked trash better, no one was more confident than Zach. With the right diagnosis and the right medication, Zach was on his comeback trail. You knew when (Zach) was coming down the hallway. Hoffpauir was known as a hard hitter and suffered at least five documented concussions before medically retiring from football in 2016. One Zach Hoffpauir was unwaveringly committed to his faith and to his family. Zach moved in with Doug during this time. . Photos courtesy Stanford University. Im done. JASON HOFFPAUIR Cedar Rapids Jason Clyde Hoffpauir, 38, of Cedar Rapids, died Thursday, Nov. 19, 2015, at Mercy Medical Center. Zach was 26 years old. Hug your loved ones extra today. I cant take this anymore. But I would fake it.". I hate that its because of this, but maybe some positive can come of it. Our prayers are with the Hoffpauir family, though Zach, you are always with us.. His new role at Northern Colorado included recruiting Arizona. Stanford women: Brink, Jones power No. But Hoffpauir sustained several concussions during his career and displayed many of the classic CTE symptoms, including mood swings, depression and memory loss. It was the first time in a long time that he felt purpose. In the late stages of last week, it was revealed that former Stanford Cardinal multi-sport athlete Zach Hoffpauir, who passed away in May, had died due to an accidental overdose, according to a report citing the county medical examiner in his native Arizona.. Rare two-sport star Zach Hoffpauir dies at 26, By Tom Scanlon, Glendale Star Managing Editor. He was a true friend and a great brother to anyone he knew. It was compassion, Zach said. The pathology of the disease follows four stages, from I (mild) to IV (severe). he calls my dad and says Im going to fly him out here, hes going to see Dr. Prusmack whos the chief neurosurgeon for the Denver Broncos. I sit down with him for 15 minutes and he tells me I have Lyme Disease. College Sports | Hope Hoffpauir Obituary. The family has asked for time to grieve, he said. Hoffpauir was 26 years old. Zach also set an important precedent by talking about his own struggles with mental health and encouraging others to seek help in their darkest hours. Follow him on Twitter @azc_obert. Hoffpauir was known as a hard hitter and suffered at least five documented concussions before medically retiring from football in 2016. His mood changed. He died on May 14, 2020. His loved ones wish they could remind him of that one more time. He battled Lyme disease, Valley fever, meningitis, depression, insomnia. Zach Hoffpauirs family leads friends on the field at halftime of the Centennial-Hamilton game. He was chosen by The Arizona Republic as the greatest football player in Centennial's rich history. No cause of death for the former Stanford football and baseball player has been released. 17 UCLA, My AP WBB ballot: Stanford-UCLA starts Cardinals huge week. McCaffrey's former Stanford teammate and close friend, Zach Hoffpauir, dealt with depression and attempted suicide before passing away a year later due to another cause, per his father, in 2020. More Videos Doug Hoffpauir said the opportunity provided a new spark in Zachs life and thanked McCaffrey for taking a chance on his son. He was the personality of the school, too, said Diane Dunham, a history teacher at Centennial. It allowed him to focus on good things in his life, even if those things were having a family or air conditioning. Try our free interactive obituary template. 2) Emotional problems, including poor decision-making, impulsiveness and the tendency to lash out. At Zachs celebration of life, Stanford administrator Ron Lynn described Zach as a young man with an old soul. Centennial Highs football coach Richard Taylor added a similar sentiment. He had to medically retire due to concussions prior to Stanfords bowl game in 2016. James "Huffy" Hoffpauir passed away suddenly on July 14, 2022, due to heart failure. Thats the last thing he said. I mightve just fallen on my knees and cried, Doug Hoffpauir said, holding back tears. At the Centennial event, Doug refused to let the pain of his familys loss and the communitys loss bring down this night of celebration. And same for the people who went through it with him. College and professional athletes, particularly football players, often get unfairly stereotyped. He said his memory wasnt what it used to be, Doug Hoffpauir recalled. Get Morning Report and other email newsletters. He was a young, intelligent coach with limitless potential, wrote Ed McCaffery in a Facebook post after Zachs death. My testosterone levels were almost gone. He was 26. Then came Zachs way out, in the form of the 2015 MLB Draft. (Courtesy of the Hoffpauir family), Zach Hoffpauir holds up a small sign that reads, "Look who's turning 25," on his birthday. But this time, Zach entered a deep funk. After the Arizona Diamondbacks selected him in the 22nd round of the 2015 MLB Draft, Hoffpauir took a year off from football to spend a season playing minor league baseball. He also starred as an outfielder on Stanfords baseball team and was drafted by the Diamondbacks in 2015. He was the player who both took coaching and pushed his coaches to get better. Zach Hoffpauir could catch a ball at 9 months old and could dribble a basketball at 2. I dont want people to think, This could happen to your kid. I mean, it could happen. They passed by the No. He was at the same time: the big brother you always wanted, the life coach you never knew you needed and the friend you knew would always have your back.. Zach Hoffpauir was raw, passionate, outspoken, competitive. The University of Northern Colorado football team honored its former assistant coach Zach Hoffpauir, who died unexpectedly in May 2020. He was Do tax exemptions apply to costs like burial, cremation and floral arrangements? January 28, 2016: OF Zach Hoffpauir retired. C hristian McCaffrey posted a photo of Hoffpauir on his Instagram account Friday which began, Yesterday Heaven gained an angel, and I lost one of my best friends in the world. He called Hoffpauir a true friend and great brother to anyone he knew. *** Send suggestions, comments and tips (confidentiality guaranteed) to pac12hotline@bayareanewsgroup.com or call 408-920-5716. But Zach was just more susceptible it was just the way his body was.. Dont mess with his friends, dont mess with his family, said Lynn. Brad Cesmat, founder and CEO of Sports360AZ.com, said that he first approached Shannon and Doug about doing a documentary on their son in mid-May. McCaffery, a running back drafted by the Carolina Panthers in 2017, was told about Zachs condition and acted without hesitation. I came back somewhere around 11:30, I was really tired and his door was still shut. He couldnt fight this alone. Former Stanford multi-sport start Zach Hoffpauir died on Thursday morning. And we connect in weaknesses.. Zach Hoffpauir was 26 years old. His death revealed the extent of his care toward others. To suggest human-interest story ideas and other news, reach Obert at richard.obert@arizonarepublic.comor 602-316-8827. Zach Hoffpauir, a two-sport standout at Stanford who earned All-Pac 12 honours as a safety in football and played two seasons in the Arizona Diamondbacks minor league system, has died at age 26.

How To Wheeze Laugh Like Dream, Judy Lewis General Hospital, How To Speak Tusken Raider Sign Language, Articles Z

zach hoffpauir obituary